What’s the best way to lay turf?
Spring is the ideal time to lay a new lawn, so if you’re thinking about laying a new lawn you may want to find out the best way to lay turf. Find out how with expert advice and helpful tips from Essex turf grower and supplier, Paynes Turf.
The first (and most important) job when laying a new lawn is to get the ground prepped. Good ground preparation is vitally important, as it will determine the overall look and quality of the finished lawn. If the ground isn’t prepped to a high standard before laying the new turves, it could result in an uneven, lumpy lawn that’s difficult to mow and uneven to walk on, so it’s worth putting in the extra effort now to ensure the very best results. Find out how to prepare the ground for turf here.
Tip: It’s worth noting that turf should be laid on good quality, nutrient-rich soil, as it will help to ensure strong root development.
Tip: Make sure that the ground has been fully prepared before ordering the new turf – turf should be laid on the same day as it has been delivered, and definitely within 24 hours, as it will soon begin to perish.
The best way to lay turf
- Place the first roll of turf along a straight edge and roll it out away from you. Use a board to kneel on so that you don’t damage the soil or the new turf.
- Continue to lay the turf along the straight edge, butting the edges together tightly as you go.
- Start on the second row. Lay this row staggered to the previous row, in a brickwork-type fashion, so that the edges aren’t all in a line.
- When you get to the end of each row, cut the turf using a sharp knife or edging tool.
- Continue to lay the turf across the lawn. As soon as the turves have been laid water the lawn thoroughly.
Tip: When laying the turf, if you spot a dip simply peel back the turf, fill the dip with topsoil and place it back down.
Tip: Keep the edges of the turf moist to prevent them from drying out.
Tip: Don’t stretch the turf
As a turf grower, we take great care of our turf – from seed to delivery – to make sure that our customers receive the very best quality turf in the best possible condition. After new turf has been laid it is vital that a regular lawn care maintenance programme is carried out to continue its healthy growth and to ensure that it flourishes. Find out how to look after your lawn all year round here.